A University of West Georgia masters student, Aimee Copeland, is fighting for her life after catching a flesh-eating disease during a zip line accident.
She was on a homemade zip line during a kayaking trip when the line broke and cut her left calf. She originally got 22 staples to stitch it up, but the following day she had severe pain – and was sent home with painkillers, and again the next day with antibiotics.
Later, she was diagnosed with a severe and rare strep infection - necrotizing fasciitis – that gets into wounds and destroys the tissue around it. It has already taken her left leg (it was amputated at the hip) and part of her abdomen.
Update #2 ON AIMEE:
UPDATE #1 ON AIMEE:
Aimee Copeland’s sister, Paige Copeland, called The Bert Show with an update about Aimee’s condition (they believe the bacteria is fully out of her system), how Aimee is handling the loss of her limbs, and how you can protect yourself.
How you can avoid it: Frequent hand washing and avoiding people with sore throats can help lower the risk of flesh-eating disease. All cuts, no matter how small, should be cleaned and covered with bandages.
1) Donate blood: Donate blood anywhere -give blood to help all of those in need. Giving blood is giving life.
2) Donate money:
Instead of flowers and gifts, Aimee’s father is requesting financial support through PayPal or, send a check to: ”Aimee’s Fund,” Acct # 2050141288, c/o United Community Bank, 119 Maple Street, Carrollton, GA 30117, (770) 838-9608. This money will be used for hospital and/or rehabilitation expenses.
3) Raise awareness
Homemade zip lines are dangerous. Leave zip line construction to professionals.
Frequent hand washing and avoiding people with sore throats can help lower the risk of flesh-eating disease. All cuts, no matter how small, should be cleaned and covered with bandages.