You think your relationship is pretty solid, but how do you know if you’re really in it to win it and can last in the long run?
Check out the nine secrets of happy couples below to see how your relationship stacks up… and to identify those areas where you’re lacking. (We’d go with the #7. Gifts. I mean, you can never get too many of those, right?)
1. They use terms of endearment. Sure, it’s annoying to listen to, but they’re signs of affection. So bring on the honey, baby, sweetie, and every pet name under the sun. (Ex. I wuv you Honey sugar sweetie pie).
2. They do stuff together. When that feeling of falling in love passes (you know, when you’re done canoodling in bed all day), you do other things together. Hobbies, businesses, classes, activities – whatever it is, it’s something.
3. When the going gets tough…they don’t call mom or dad. You want your family to like your significant other, right? Well remember that spat you had 3 months ago that you’ve looooong forgotten about? They still remember. So unless you want Grudge City, leave ‘em out of it.
4. They stay connected to their parents. Sure, you’re not bringing them in on the family problems, but they’re still connected with them.
5. You don’t nickel and dime about chores. Don’t keep a tally, à la I did the laundry, so you have to do the dishes. And don’t expect them to read your mind!
6. They fight constructively. Instead of just throwing out curse words, they come up with a solution.
7. They give each other gifts. Not just on Valentine’s Day or Birthdays – we’re talking spontaneous gifts here. A random bunch of flowers, a pint of ice cream, a fun t-shirt – whatever it is, it’s still a gift and it means you’re thinking of them.
8. They never lose their sense of humor. They can laugh together, even in the dark times.
9. They take for better or for worse seriously. No matter how hard it gets, you know in your heart of hearts that you’re going to stick it out, matter what.