Jenn’s parents have been married for 41 years, and still are in love and giggle like teenagers. So how did they keep the love alive – and the marriage solid – for that long, through thick and thin, kids and empty nests?
Here are the top five tips from Jenn’s mom, Nancy, on sustaining a long, loving marriage.
1. Be kind and watch what comes out of your mouth. Once something is said, it’s out there – you can’t take it back.
2. Give 100%. Give as much as you can give, lovingly, then you’ll get it back.
3. Take sides with your partner, and support each other’s goals.
4. Take trips together – without the kids. Nurture your relationship; one day, your kids will be gone, but you’ll still have your partner.
5. Create memories, and family traditions that are meaningful and fun. These memories will keep you together and keep you centered. Do some FFO’s – Fun Family Outings!
As for arguments – every day is brand new, so let it go. Life is way too short to hang on to anger and let negative emotions bring you down.